Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Kristin Speech Update

I realize most of you aren't interested in this, but since this blog is a way to keep family members, as well as friends who happen to be SLPs (Tracy) informed... bear with me. Last week I went to Amos Cottage in Winston to have Kristin's speech and hearing further tested. All the testing is FREE through the Child Development Service Agency (CDSA), and because of our income level and the number of kids in our home, all therapies are free as well! Yay, tax payers!

I love our service coordinator, Lori, who is really sweet and understanding. She basically has walked me through everything and makes sure all paper work is completed and appointments are scheduled.

As for the testing at Amos Cottage, Kristin passed the hearing tests, so hearing is not a concern. The speech was accessed by a CDSA SLP (Speech/Language Pathologist), who was also very nice. After an hour or so of testing, she determined the following:
Kristin demonstrated a moderate to severe articulation/phonological disorder characterized by several phonological processes and overall decreased speech intelligibility in spontaneous speech. Receptive and expressive language skills were within normal limits. Voice, fluency, and oral motor skills were also within the normal range.

Hopefully in the next week or so we will be contacted by our speech therapist and start her weekly visits to our home (how nice is that). I am so glad I sought help, it puts my mind at ease to know she can benefit from therapy. Maybe in another 6 months we'll be able understand the child! Won't that be fun? :-)

1 comment:

Tracy said...

thanks for the update Beth! I feel so special you blogged just for me!!! We just got back from vacation but here are my two cents worth, whatever that is worth:
* glad that language skills are good, one less thing to worry about
* artic, at 2, hmmm? That's hard. Ways to fix artic are practice, practice, practice. Which as you know, 2 and 3 year old are not all about. Look into "Easy Does it for Preschool Apraxia". I use it for my little ones and have had good success. And you can practice with it at home. Keep me updated!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...